United Way 211 helpline connects citizens with health & human services in Bryan, Chatham, Effingham & Liberty Counties. Whether it’s responding to calls about a family that needs help with emergency rent and utilities, or answering COVID-19 health questions – we are here to help.
# of assistance requests for the top 5 needs
Week of April 7 – 13
COVID-19 Rapid Response Fund
The fund will help to ensure the stability of the region’s social service infrastructure and close gaps in needed assistance in the near-term for fragile households in poverty and those living paycheck to paycheck. This fund will be used to help families retain stable housing by assisting with rent, mortgage, and utility payments when grace periods are not offered and to provide financial assistance for additional critical needs such as medical expenses and child care.
United Way Rapid Response Fund will provide financial assistance to:
- Residents of Bryan, Chatham, Effingham, and Liberty Counties
- Residents who are not able to pay all or part of their monthly rent, mortgage, or utility bill(s) due to financial hardship caused by COVID-19. This could be due to temporarily increased expenses or decreased income.
Some documentation is required, and residents must meet eligibility guidelines.
- Proof of income – fixed income, current employment or recent job separation due to COVID-19.
- Proof of Chatham, Effingham, Bryan or Liberty county residency.
- Proof of ability to meet financial obligations on a regular basis prior to COVID-19.
- Housing/Childcare – Proof of the inability to pay all or part of their bill(s) due to financial hardship caused by COVID-19. Proof that the payee is not making accommodations relating to payment collection.
- Medicine/Other – Proof of the inability to meet other needs will be considered on a case by case basis ensuring that all other existing community resources are used before this fund and that the financial hardship was caused by COVID-19.
Apply by calling United Way of the Coastal Empire offices:
Bryan County, call 912.651.7750
Chatham County, call 211 or 912.651.7730
Effingham County, call 912.826.5300
Liberty County, call 912.368.4282