Interested in local restaurant discounts? Join Caring Club.


What is 211?

211 is a free, confidential service provided by United Way of the Coastal Empire to ensure every person in the community has access to the best resources available. We may be able to provide emergency funding where there are gaps.


How can I get in touch with 211?

Call us at 211 between 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday – Friday.
Visit us online at
Email us at [email protected].

Due to limited staff and high call volume, please allow 24-48 business hours for a response.

If there is an emergency, dial 911 immediately. If you or someone you know is struggling or in crisis, help is available. Call or text 988 or chat online at


What assistance does 211 provide?

211 may provide access to resources for disaster relief assistance; food, health care, housing; utility payment assistance; childcare, family services, and more. United Way has limited funding for individuals and households experiencing a crisis or hardship.


If I live in Bryan, Effingham, or Liberty counties, where do I call for help?

Call 211.


Where can I find the application for assistance? 

A UWCE representative will provide an application to eligible applicants. Please call 211 to start an application.


What is the application process?

An online application can be submitted through a computer, tablet, or smartphone.

  1. Call 211
  2. Complete and submit your application.
  3. Upload, email, or drop off all required documentation to the County office to ensure your application is processed on time.
  4. You will receive a confirmation within 48 hours that we have received your application and the required documents.
  5. A United Way Representative will review your application for completion. The timing to review your application depends on call volume. Please expect delays during periods of high call volume. Generally, the application review process is completed within 48 hours.
  6. We will notify you by text or email if there needs to be more information in your application. Your application will not be reviewed until all required documents are submitted. Potential assistance is based on available funds.
  7. If you are approved, a 211 Specialist will contact you for additional information.
  8. If you are declined, you will receive a written notice from United Way with the reason for denial.


What type of assistance is available?

United Way makes every effort to (1) maintain a database of information and referral partners that provide services to support members of the community and (2) secure funding to assist our community with the most significant emergency needs. Please call 211 and speak to a member of our team to discuss your situation. We will refer you to a program or service that may be able to provide assistance.


How do I know if I qualify for emergency financial assistance?

Call 211, and our 211 Specialists will walk you through the qualification process. It will be helpful to have the following documents available when you call. Requirements may vary based on the type of assistance needed. It could include any of the following:

  • State I.D.
  • Social Security Disability Ward Letter
  • Paycheck Stub or W-2
  • Separation Notice
  • Medical Documentation supporting the inability to work
  • Copy of Mortgage Statement
  • Copy of Rental Lease
  • Dispossessory, Eviction, or Late Notice
  • Copy of Bill/Utility Statement
  • Disability Award Letter
  • Proof of Appointment
  • Car Registration and Insurance
  • Diagnostics from a reputable mechanic


Does United Way provide emergency rental assistance?

United Way may provide supplemental emergency rental assistance based on available resources. Federal dollars that were once available through United Way of the Coastal Empire during COVID have now expired.


Are there other options for rental or mortgage assistance?

Yes, please refer to our online database.


How many times can I receive United Way financial assistance?

Effective immediately, households may receive assistance up to three times in a lifetime, except for transportation assistance, severe medical impairment, and disaster survivors if your area has been declared for emergency assistance.


Last updated: May 2024

Back To Top